SKINS Derma Care SKIN 101
Waxing Vs. Laser Hair Removal
The Pros and Cons of These Popular Hair Removal Treatments in Ottawa
Ottawa’s weather is getting warmer. So it’s time to start thinking about longer-lasting hair removal options for summer.
Instead of shaving often this summer, why not consider hair removal treatments that will keep your hair away for longer?
Waxing removes hair by applying warm wax to the treatment area and smoothing a wax strip on top. The strip is then pulled up in the opposite direction of the hair growth to remove the hair from the root.
- More affordable up front.
- Removes hair instantly, leaving smooth, hairless skin.
- Removes hair for an average of three to six weeks.
- Hair grows back lighter.
- The pain of waxing decreases with regularly-timed treatments.
- Can be very painful at first.
- You need to grow out your hair for the treatment to work, as the wax needs a quarter inch of hair to hold on to.
- Hairs grow back and can become ingrown.
- Alcohol and caffeine can increase sensitivity and make the treatment more painful.
Laser Hair Removal
With laser hair removal in Ottawa, a laser targets the pigment (melanin) of hair, destroying the follicle and inhibiting hair growth. You will need several cycles of treatment to target hair follicles at different stages of the hair growth cycle. And you may need touch-up treatments later on.
- Long-term hair removal for all areas of the body.
- More cost-effective in the long run. Once you’ve completed the course of treatments, you won’t need to return every few weeks, saving you time and money over the long-term.
- Doesn’t damage the skin—so it’s safe to use on sensitive skin. Your clinician may even opt to test a patch of skin to be sure.
- Expensive up-front cost.
- Ideal for those with dark hair and light skin, since the laser targets dark pigment. Hair-removal specialists can focus laser treatments for a patient’s hair and skin colour, even if the colours aren’t highly contrasted.
- Hair falls out gradually after each treatment, so you won’t have instant hair removal and will need to shave between sessions.
- Is not as painful as waxing, but it is uncomfortable. Some compare it to elastic bands snapping against the skin. But you can take two Advil tablets 30 minutes before treatment to reduce the pain. The device also cools the skin to improve comfort.
There may be some discomfort after treatment, such as irritated skin. But if you follow your hair removal specialist’s aftercare instructions, such as applying aloe vera to the treatment area, you can minimize your discomfort.
Whether you want short-term or long-term hair removal results, there’s a hair removal treatment for you. Visit your local Ottawa wax and laser hair removal clinic to get ready for summer.