19 Laser Hair Removal Before and After Care Tips
Tips to Make the Most of Your Hair Removal in Ottawa
Like any skin care treatment, it’s important to take proper care of your skin before and after laser hair removal. This pre- and post-treatment care will make sure you have a comfortable experience with optimal results.
During your consultation at your local Ottawa laser hair removal clinic, make sure to give an accurate medical and skin treatment history to ensure a safe and effective treatment. Laser hair removal is not ideal for those who take certain types of medications, with various health conditions, and who are undergoing other cosmetic treatments in the near future.
Here are some tips to protect your skin and get the best results from your laser hair removal treatment in Ottawa.
Before Hair Removal
- Avoid all alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products (AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, retinols/retinoid, Tazorac, and Differin for seven days prior to your treatment.
- Do not wax, pluck, or chemically remove hair from your treatment area for up to four weeks prior to your laser hair removal session. This will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment since the laser targets hair follicles.
- Avoid chemical peels and other laser treatments for two weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not expose the treated area to direct sunlight, UV tanning beds, or sunless tanning products for seven days prior to treatment. If you plan to go outside, keep your skin protected with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 or higher sunscreen, and be sure to thoroughly moisturize afterwards. If you do use sunless tanning products, exfoliate your skin to remove residual colour.
- Shave within 12 hours prior to treatment. This is necessary to remove extra hair and will prevent your hair from getting singed by the laser.
- Right before your treatment, make sure your skin is clean. Wash off any cosmetics, creams, lotions, deodorants, or beauty products.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to your appointment so you’re comfortable and you can expose your treatment area easily. Also consider wearing soft, breathable fabrics so the fabric won’t irritate the treated area afterwards.
- Although the treatment has minimal discomfort, you may apply a numbing cream from your skin care clinic prior to treatment.
- Rest and avoid exercise, saunas, and any exertion that can lead to sweating for 24 to 48 hours.
- Take Tylenol, apply aloe vera, and use ice packs on the treatment area if you experience any discomfort.
- Avoid very hot baths and showers for at least 48 hours.
- Avoid direct sunlight for two to four weeks.
- Avoid chemical and other laser treatments for two weeks.
- If you had your face treated, you can wear mineral makeup within the first 48 hours, but avoid any other cosmetics until the skin has healed.
- For underarm treatments, avoid using deodorant for at least three days to prevent irritation.
- Do not scratch the treatment area, even if it becomes itchy—this can break the skin, leading to scabs and scarring.
- If you notice any discolouration to the treatment area, apply vitamin E to soothe the skin.
- Do not wax or pluck hair following treatment. This can stimulate follicle growth and reduce the effectiveness of the hair removal process.
- Exfoliate the treatment area once the redness is gone, which can take up to two weeks after treatment.
Lastly, if you experience any uncomfortable side effects, contact your local Ottawa hair removal clinic for assistance. By taking care of your skin before and after treatments, and following a recommended treatment plant, you can make the most of your laser hair removal. These tips will ensure you have a more pleasant experience during and after treatment while leading to better results.